My hen has an enlarged squishy crop, green and white runny poops, dull comb, and is lathargic! What

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hettieprincess, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Hettieprincess

Hettieprincess New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    My hen, Hettie, who is typically very bold, has been acting very quiet, and moves very slowly, preferring to stay in one spot. She can't even fly up to roost in her normal spot. She had greenish poop stuck to her butt (which I pulled off), and when she poops it's dark green with whitish, cement looking stuff mixed in. Her comb looked very dull, but has been looking a little better today. Upon reading some info, I thought she might have sour crop- so I forced her to vomit. She threw up a lot of brown liquid! BUT, because of the dull comb and runny poops, I thought she could have worms. I'm so confused by all of her symptoms... can anyone help diagnose the problem? I have isolated her from the other birds, she's in the house in a dog crate. I also treated her water with deworming drops, and electrolytes. The woman at the farm store gave me some Auromycin crumbles to give to her (I'm not totally sure what that is, but she had a little with a bit of hard boiled egg). Any advice is appreciated!!

2. Hettieprincess

Hettieprincess New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    This morning, I went to in feed her, and she threw up light brown liquid. Poor thing! She did end up eating some bread with oil and some egg and a little yogurt. She seems to have an appetite, which is good! Any ideas of how I should better treat her are welcomed!!! I am still giving her water w/ electrolytes, and worming drops as well as aureomycin crumbles. Im not so sure how much to actually give her of the aureomycin crumbles. Right now I am trying to give her about 1 tsp a day. Is that too little???

3. luvnjavas

luvnjavas Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I have a hen that is behaving in a similar manner. We have given her the ACV and yogurt consecutively. She eats medicated food and gets a Calcium supplement every 3 days- no idea what is happening here though. Have you gotten any results yet?

4. Hettieprincess

Hettieprincess New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that you have a sick hen. Unfortunately, our hen, Hettie, died. So sad! She was doing better on the antibiotic (ammoxicillian), but once she completed the round, she worsened. So, 2 days later, I decided to bring her to the vet (again), but she died just after I made the appointment.

Honestly, I really think our Hettie had sour crop. The first vet I brought her too, disregarded my feelings and was convinced she had worms. We waited 1 week for the results of the worm test (which were negative!), so lost precious time. I wish I had put her on an anti-fungus medication, I'm pretty sure that would've helped.

Is your hen losing weight? Our Hettie was so skinny, weighing under 3 lbs.

Ya know what Hettie really liked... her pellets mixed with water. It became mushy, so much easier for her to eat. You might want to try that. If it's a sour crop issue, that might be easier for your hen to get down. Our vet told us to stop giving yogurt.. but then again, she didnt believe it was a sour crop issue, so who knows! We also moved her inside in a dog crate, because the other hens were pecking at her. At least she was warm and comfortable when she died. :(

Good luck, keep me posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by