my hen has been acting odd lately.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rheannaspetchicks, Oct 22, 2009.

1. rheannaspetchicks

rheannaspetchicks New Egg

Oct 19, 2009
    i don't know her age. her picture is my avatar. she's usually very friendly and walks right up to me. two days ago she started hiding whenever we come around. she's usually never skittish. is there something wrong? or do i just need to get another chicken so she's not always alone? thanks in advance for replying :]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

Well if you only have one hen, I think you should have more. They are very socially oriented. I am a little out of place in this web community because I don't expect my chickens to act like pets. If they are stand-offish, it's fine with me.

But I'm sure most of the people here will suggest using treats to get her eating out of your hand and following you everywhere. Even in the house! [​IMG]

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    how old is she? is she alone? could she be have egg problems? is she laying? my girls did this when they first layed but i didnt mind. also [​IMG]

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Please give more info such as her age, how long you have her, her diet, how her poo looks (consistency and color), is she laying eggs, and where she is kept. Chickens live in flocks so she should have a friend. If you get her a friend be sure its healthy and has no parasites. [​IMG]

5. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    How is your hen today? I am just wondering if she is thinking of laying an egg. If she has just started to lay she may be confused as to what's happening, hiding the eggs or is having trouble laying them. Is she eating well--and what does she eat? I asked if her poo is normal as worms can cause them to become ill. The other end of the scope is if she is an older hen that doesn't lay anymore--any chance you can find out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by