My Hen has been acting weird?

roostersandhens

Flap Your Wings!
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Saving Battery Hens at Happy Hen Chicken Rescue in
My Coop
My Coop
My hen Olive is acting strange. She just finished raising 10 chicks. She is still all poofed up around other chickens. She sleeps with her chicks but she goes outside on her own in the day. I have 2 coops 1 for the chicks Olive hatched and 1 for the other 11. I have 2 roosters and when ever there is a hawk flying around the roosters try to hide the hens under trees or in the barn. Olive is causing the roosters to come out to get her. They cant get her to hide though. Eventually the roosters will give up. I am worried a hawk is going to eat her. She just wont listen to the roosters, she listened before she had chicks. I am really worried she is not safe. Yesterday threr were maybe 4 hawks outside and I saw she would not listen to the roosters so I had to bring her inside.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe when she sees the hawk her instincts tell her she should be protecting her chicks (mother hens often sit and put out their wings for the chicks to hide under). She is probably still under the influence of broody/ new mom hormones since she is still puffing up. You could keep her with the chicks during the day, too.

Maybe when she sees the hawk her instincts tell her she should be protecting her chicks (mother hens often sit and put out their wings for the chicks to hide under). She is probably still under the influence of broody/ new mom hormones since she is still puffing up. You could keep her with the chicks during the day, too.
When she is with the chicks she is upset and wants out of the chick house she likes the chicks but hates being cooped up. Should I be letting the chicks out with her? The other chickens peck them. I am also worried that the chicks will get eaten by a hawk. She is my first broody and I dont know what to do. Thanks for the edvice it is very helpfull.
Thanks,
Roostersandhens

Maybe you can put her back in the coop with the rest of the flock and she will start getting over her broody urges. I guess the trade off with that suggestion is she won't have as special a relationship with her chicks. You will have to look at the pros and cons of each option.

Back
Top Bottom