my hen has diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mosse71, Jan 26, 2017.

1. mosse71

mosse71 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    n. maine
    hey folks. one of my 15 mo. old silver laced wyandotte hens has diarrhea. its dark brown and watery. her vent area is all wet. the rest of them are fine. i have them on layer feed some scratch mixed w/ coarse lime for grit. and occasional vegetables. they are on oat straw. she's eating drinking fine. weight is about the same. been like this for 3 days. she's still laying . no blood in the stool and she's acting normal. been leaving the door open so they can come out for fresh air during the day. put down some straw so they aren't standing on snow. any idea how i can treat her? i put a little molasses in their water to give them energy in the cold but only 1/2tsp per 2 gal. that wouldn't cause that and the others are fine. gonna put some electrolytes and probiotics in their water to see if that helps. any ideas on how to treat this?. thanks!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. mosse71

Oct 18, 2016
    n. maine
    anyone.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Hi!

I would bring her inside and give her eggs and tuna often and you can put some vitamins in her water.Stop giving her probotics and molasses if given too much she will have constant diarrhea.At this point its hard to tell what is wrong with her.Observe her for a while and hopefully she will stop having diarrhea.

4. mosse71

Oct 18, 2016
    n. maine
    i haven't gave probiotics yet. and haven't given molasses for about 5 days since the weather warmed .gave some electrolytes so she doesn't dehydrate. gave her a scrambled egg yesterday and she ate that up. let them out today and she seemed fine. eating and drinking well.her stools are really dark and a lot. I'm gonna clean the coop out and put down fresh straw. its not really soiled but I'm not going to take a chance. thanks for the advice. the others are leaving her alone so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by