my hen has eye infection HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkielover5, Oct 2, 2011.

1. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    so i baught this trio from a poultry show yesterday and the hen in front of the picture looks like she has an eye infection its clear and had crustys on it. i wiped off the crustys but see their a birthday present for a friend next week. im just wondering how to take care of her by next week
    [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I wouldnt give your friend those birds at all. Most likely it's a respiratory disease they picked up at the poultry show.

3. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:well she doesnt have any birds yet they just started building her chicken coop, any birds she buys i keep at my house so id have them tell about spring. how due i cure her?!?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:well she doesnt have any birds yet they just started building her chicken coop, any birds she buys i keep at my house so id have them tell about spring. how due i cure her?!?

There are no cures for respiratory diseases.

5. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI

There are no cures for respiratory diseases.

will it leave or what?!?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you seperate those new birds from your others. Whatever disease it is can spread to your birds. Birds that have respiratory problems are carriers for life and will infect others. Some diseases pass through eggs as well. You can treat the birds with antibiotics. Antibiotics will only treat the symptoms but wont cure the disease. If it's a virus, antibiotics are useless. You will have to maintain a closed flock...no new ones in, none out. Do not give away nor sell eggs to be hatched. If you do give these birds to your friend, it would be morally and ethically best to inform your friend what's going on with those birds. Your other option is to cull the birds and hope they didnt infect your other birds. It's advisable to practice strict biosecurity when purchasing new birds. They should be placed in quarantine far away as possible from your "old" flock to prevent spreading diseases at least for 30 days. That 30 days gives you time to fully inspect new birds for external problems and try to treat internal problems as necessary. It also gives time for unseen problems in the new birds to expose themselves during the quarantine period.
    Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry. Scroll down to Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.) It's possible you're dealing with one of these two diseases.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

7. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    [​IMG]
    heres the hen with the eye thing
    [​IMG]
    heres her eye
    [​IMG]
    heres my rooster
    [​IMG]
    he looks like he has a lazy eye?
    [​IMG]
    shes my other hen no eye problems

8. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:I agree completely. Listen to dawg53 he always has the best advice and insight. I wouldn't give them to your friend because it will mean that every single bird she buys for herself will then be at risk to get that sickness too. Getting her birds is a great idea.. but just not these. I'd cull if I was in this situation. But if you don't then you absolutely must do as dawg53 advised - your friend will need to know exactly what she is dealing with.

I am really sorry this happened to you! [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with dawg53.

10. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    well on the cochin thread they said eye infection so i talked to my vet (she used to be farm vet, owns chickens, and is in my 4h group) and shes going to check them over and if it is just eye infection shes going to give my free drops [​IMG] [​IMG] i love my vet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by