My hen has "golf balls" on the tip of her toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mgainey, Sep 27, 2011.

1. mgainey

mgainey New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    I've seen this on one or two of the hens before and then one day it just is gone. It usually happens after they have wandered and scratched on a patch of mud (we let them out to free range once a day). I have read some about bumble foot. Isn't that under the foot ? This is actual round balls on the tip end of her toes, around the claw part. The poor thing is have a hard time walking, but the ball is the only symptom. She otherwise appears healthy. I want to help her. Please enlighten me.

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    do you have any pictures??

3. did she get into something like scratching new concrete that was poured? clay will do that then dry hard as rocks as well.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    It's probably poo mixed with dirt.
    Soak in warm water, they should twist right off.

5. i agree. something that will harden and not come off. soak soak soak.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They can get mud balls. I agree with the others- soak the feet to see if they will come off.

7. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    One of my silkies got those last year and I took pliers and held her steady and CAREFULLY applied a good squeeze to the "ball". I was able to get them all to crack and fall off. Be careful not to twist the toes.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You can pull the skin off if you aren't careful. It would be better to soak it loose.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by