My hen has grey scaly, scabby-looking patches on her belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by foursweethens, Aug 27, 2014.

1. foursweethens

foursweethens New Egg

Aug 27, 2014
    Hello BYC community,

The hen I am concerned about is Cinnamon. She is the second in command in our little flock of four. She is about 18 months old and is eating, drinking, pooping and otherwise seems quite well. Lately we have been preoccupied with another, younger hen who was being bullied and so I was shocked when my son picked Cinnamon up the other day and we saw these patches. They look like they must have been there for a while.

I haven't seen this before (we are in our first year of backyard chicken life) - mites? gleet? infection? bullying? help?

My son has noticed her picking at the area a bit - he has seen her pulling out some of her own feathers. I don't know if this is connected, but she has not being laying eggs for a few months now.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That looks like scabs caused by either mites or injury. To be on the safe side, I would dust her with Sevin to kill any mites/lice and also clean out the coop and dust it. Re-dust seven days later to kill any mites/lice that hatched from eggs.

I'd look around the coop/surrounding area for anything sharp she could have scratched herself on, too. That is a strange area for other birds to peck at, so it is more likely that the damage was self-inflicted (either by her picking at herself or scratching up against something).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by