My hen has hatched the duck eggs. What next?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BCMominMD, May 29, 2010.

1. BCMominMD

BCMominMD Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    So my white rock hen has essentially been sitting for 5 weeks and hatched out 7 baby ducklings on Thursday. They are in a pen separate from the rest of my flock. They have a dog crate with pine shavings, food (a grower layer crumble)water, and a large shallow galvanized pan to swim in (they haven't found it yet).
    I've noticed that the last week the hen has had daily large loose stools. Yesterday she was straining and finally passed a large white brown stool. She's been looking a little pale and tired but not acting sick accept for the stools. It seems like she has hardly eaten anything for the whole 5 weeks.
    My question is how can I help her feel better? Can I let them out with the rest of the flock or should I keep the others closed up and let them out to free range for awhile. I am thinking that some greens and bugs would make my hen feel better.
    Anyone in Southern Maryland interested in some runner ducks?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Songster 9 Years

LOL, now yer gonna have a mess on yer hands. Baby waterfowl are messier than puppies, Ha Ha Ha. The hen did a good job. If she has been isolated from the flock, it`s probably better to keep them seperate for a while. It certainly would do her a lot of good to get some free range time. She will recover rapidly. Good luck with the Runners. I had a mess of`m and they were meaner than snakes. Hope yours don`t get like that...........Pop

3. BCMominMD

BCMominMD Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    Thanks for the advise. I'm actually doing this for fun and for a friend. So they won't be staying here too long!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: