My hen has injured her leg and foot

Schoey

Hatching
Nov 18, 2020
A swarm of large insects came into the run yesterday, my 5 hens went nuts!! They were having a great time catching them and munching away. 3 of them decided to climb up into the lemon tree to catch the few remaining insects however my oldest hens leg got stuck on a branch and actually fell upside down and was hanging from the branch. I unlodged her leg and she ran of limping. She is not weight bearing at all today.
Her leg seems to be ok I think, however when I touch her foot she curls it up. She was jumping around on one leg yesterday but today she hasn't moved on her own. I've isolated her from the other girls. She hasn't wanted her breakfast or drank anything this morning. She's my oldest and most dearest girl.
I'm not sure what to do.

A swarm of large insects came into the run yesterday, my 5 hens went nuts!! They were having a great time catching them and munching away. 3 of them decided to climb up into the lemon tree to catch the few remaining insects however my oldest hens leg got stuck on a branch and actually fell upside down and was hanging from the branch. I unlodged her leg and she ran of limping. She is not weight bearing at all today.
Her leg seems to be ok I think, however when I touch her foot she curls it up. She was jumping around on one leg yesterday but today she hasn't moved on her own. I've isolated her from the other girls. She hasn't wanted her breakfast or drank anything this morning. She's my oldest and most dearest girl.
I'm not sure what to do.
Sounds like she had too much fun!

If you have a vet they can xray the leg to make sure there's no break.
Otherwise, resting the leg may be what she needs.
Not eating or drinking is concerning. I would check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's emptying. Do what you can to get her hydrated after you check the crop.

Back
Top Bottom