1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my hen has lost feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CharleneG, May 19, 2007.

1. CharleneG

CharleneG New Egg

May 19, 2007
    Bend, Oregon
    I am new to raising chickens. I have a hen that has lost all her feathers on her back and is starting to lose them under her tail. She is a Bantam, approximately 1 year old. This condition has been gradually worsening over the last few months. She is one of three chickens, 2 hens and 1 rooster and the others are fine. I have limited her exposure to the rooster, as I have read he could be the cause, and have also clipped his nails. She is on a commercial layer feed and I supplement that with game bird feed, scratch, grit and an occassional handfull of dried cat food. All the chickens roam free during the day. What more can I do to help her? Is there something missing in her diet?

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    She may have originally lost feathers on her back due to the roo. But feather loss on her butt sounds like she is going into a molt.

Give her some extra protein, like cat food.

chel

3. CharleneG

CharleneG New Egg

May 19, 2007
    Bend, Oregon
    Thanks chel, I will up the cat food portion of her feed.
    Charlene

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by