My hen has pooped out 2 of these today. Should I be worried!?

Larouxbestfan

Chirping
Jan 1, 2018
My hen has been weak and lethargic for the last 3 or 4 days.
She either lays on her side in one spot all day, or she'll stand up like a penguin. I found her outside the coop a couple days ago, leaning against a cinder block, and she's been in my room ever since.
She spent her entire day yesterday hidden under my bed in the darkness for some reason.
She eats and drinks just fine, but she barely stands or walks anywhere. She doesn't seem to be getting worse but I have no idea what's wrong or how to help her.
Today she's pooped out two of these lumps with her poop and I have absolutely no idea what they are. They're kinda soft and tan coloured.
I'm thinking that maybe she's egg bound?

Attachments

• 1541281016522292863397.jpg
    1541281016522292863397.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 97
If you read the articles about salpingitis, it can be treated with antibiotics, but it may or may not help. It may not always cause problems right away, but may be undiscovered in broilers until butchering time. I have done a few necropsies on hens who have died, and have only seen a lash egg once. But they can be common in hens.

The articles that I have mostly read say that bacteria climbing the reproductive tract is a common cause—E.coli, mycoplasma, salmonella, and pasteurella (fowl cholera) are some of the common ones. Those bacteria can be introduced to the oviduct through the vent, and vent pecking is a cause as well.

Yes, that is lash egg material, which is a symptom of salpingitis. You need to get her on an antibiotic right away. Calcium therapy can help her expel the lash eggs, too. Sorry.

I recently treated a hen who seemed to have an oviduct infection with amoxycillin, but I'm not totally sure if it's the best antibiotic. It worked for her, however. I also had her on ibuprofen for inflammation and pain, as she was acting VERY sick and had a strange stance, that I think was from pain.

Back
Top Bottom