my hen has swollen eyelids,and head is droopy. no discharge.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zenhen, Sep 11, 2011.

1. zenhen

zenhen New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    I have a 4 1/2 month old bantam black cochin hen.she is in a pen with 2other females, who exhibit no problems/symptoms. the one who has issues has both of her eyelids swollen, and her head is droopy like she does not feel well. she still drinks water, and wants to eat, and moves around, and is alert, but has trouble finding where the food is at.she also was still able to fly onto their roost last night. her eye problems started a week ago. but were not that bad, I thought maybe she got dust in her eye, but now know she might be ill. Once the feed store opens today I was gonna try some vet rx to see if it will help her. does anyone have any suggestions, or can point me in a direction to maybe diagnose what is wrong? currently on unemployment, and have limited funds.

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Is she keeping her beak open, or is she having any sign of difficulty breathing? What about her comb/wattles? Are they discolored?

3. zenhen

zenhen New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    the color of her comb, and wattles is fine. she keeps her beak closed. she has been sleeping on her perch today with her head tucked beneath her wing. while the other two are moving around. it is isolated to her,and does not seam contagious.she has trouble finding the food.also has trouble keeping her eyes open enough to eat. she mimics eating, but does not eat. she won't let me pick her up.her poop is light brown. she is not showing any signs of a cold, or respiratory infection. I am boggled trying to find out what is wrong with her.but I do know she does not feel well.[​IMG]

4. Quiobole

Quiobole Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Houston
    I don't know about other people, but based on my experience, I can tell you that vet rx sucks! It didn't help any of MY chickens. Anyway. I'm not a big chicken expert when it comes to diagnosing/treating specific diseases. AND many people may disagree with me, but ampicillin (penicillin) has been the MIRACLE medication for my chickens. A few a my chickens actually had swollen eyes a few weeks ago. I treated them everyday with the ampicillin for about a week and it worked great!

5. zenhen

zenhen New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    do you give it to them orally? or injection? I don't think the vet rx will help either because she does not have any of those symptoms. I feel helpless right now. it seems just to be both her eyelids swollen, and her feeling tired. she still chirps to the other birds, and moves around. just has trouble seeing the food to eat it.

6. zenhen

zenhen New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    she is not drinking anymore, and is doing a yawning type motion with her beak, and scratching her head alot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by