My hen hatched out very first chick :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spiral_72, May 19, 2011.

1. spiral_72

spiral_72 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Chesnee, SC
    I've incubated and hatched some chicks over the last 4 months, but three weeks ago my 13mo old girl decided to park her butt on some eggs [​IMG]

One hatched today and is running around at her side [​IMG] I had no idea the little chicks stayed IN her wing! It's amazing [​IMG] I couldn't figure out what happened to the chick. I thought the hen SAT on the chick!

Anyways, the question: She left three eggs unhatched in the nest and seems to be paying 100% attention to the little one. Is she done with the others? What happens to them now? If they don't hatch I guess I can remove them in a week like unfertile ones in the incubator, but I was shocked she left the remaining eggs.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, sounds like she's done with them.....If she doesn't get back quickly, then maybe she knows they are duds. Or you could candle them and if they look like live chicks, you could pop them into your incubator.....? Worth a look....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by