My hen hates her eggs!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SaltandPenny, Mar 8, 2014.

1. SaltandPenny

SaltandPenny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    oregon city OR
    Every time I go to collect eggs, she is out of the nesting box and by her sister.One day she was still on her nest and I decided to show her one of the eggs, and she fluffed her neck feathers and hissed every time it came near her.Why would she do this?If the act doesn't stop, she won't be able to hatch her brother's chicks.(he has two hens with him at a friends house so im not breeding my hen and her brother, I just thought it wasn't fair that my hens would never get to hatch chicks)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If she is out of the nest all the time, it sounds like she is not broody yet (or not going to be a good broody). Some hens will hiss and peck at you if you bother them while they are trying to lay an egg, even if they are not broody, it doesn't mean she hates the eggs, just that she doesn't like being bothered, she probably would have done the same thing to anything you put near her. Check out the Learning Center for some good articles on broody hens, ie https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/broody-hens

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!!

Sounds like you have a broody on your hands!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, she won't be hatching any eggs or showing much interest until she goes broody. Understand that not all hens will go broody.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can't make a hen go broody - they do it when they feel like it. Some breeds are inclined to go broody more frequently like Silkies. People often keep a couple just for that purpose.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by