My hen I got two weeks ago has not laid an egg?!?!! Spent Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by r4eboxer, Mar 22, 2013.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I bought an Ameraucana Roo that is 8 weeks old and the lady I got him from gifted me a hen with him in exchange for eggs later. The hen is said to be 2 years old and she has not laid an egg yet. The lady said that she has not molted yet (weird that she did not molt in the fall?) She said with the stress of the trip up to my house that she may stop laying and decide to molt. No signs of molting or egg laying.

Do you think I have a spent hen? or should I give her more time/

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    It could take her weeks to get back to laying. Give her more time.

3. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    I'm sure it is the stress of the move. I assume you are giving her lay pellets and lots of clean water? You can put some apple cider vinegar in her water... It helps with the stress. Just give her a few weeks to adjust and you should be getting eggs

4. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Thank you both, yes Layer Pellets and clean water 2 x a day. She is in my isolation pen with the roo. I am going to let them free range on Tuesday, I believe them both to be healthy but Tues will be a full two weeks. I really hope she lays, I am counting on her to build my program once the roo is breeding age. She is beautiful so I'm happy to know she still may have the ability.

5. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    It may help to have lay pellets available at all times. I have a hanging feeder that stays full and is available when ever they want it

6. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Thank you the pellets are available all day, I freshen everything 2x's. I took out some eggs that were cracked yesterday for her as well. She is so sweet and so is the roo. I have almost let her out to range a few days ago but stuck to my guns with the sequester. I hope she comes back to roost in the pole barn when I let her out. The sequester pen is in that barn on the other side so I think she will?

7. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Oh ok. I know you meant now. I'm sure they will come back. Is that where they will be housed?

8. PSJ

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    My point in that question was if thats where their food and water is, they will probably come back there

9. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    They will have another coop months later. I have 4 coops with other chickens in all of them. I don't want her picked on or the roo so I'm hoping they come back to the poultry barn for a while anyway. I don't want them to get beat up. There is food and water in all the coops and barns. They have 25 acres to free range for bugs grass and goodies and I am starting on my field pea and rye feed plots so where ever she goes she is going to have food and water. I guess if they are being treated nice they will roost somewhere else and it won't matter. [​IMG] I am going to give them their own breeding coop when rooman is old enough.

10. beadladee1

beadladee1 New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    I'm sure it's the stress. But if she does start to molt you will notice her comb start to shrink and turn pink. It took one of my girls months to start laying after I got her. Hang in there! :) bead

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by