My hen is being beat up by rooster!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by roostersandhens, Feb 22, 2013.

1. My 2 roosters loves 2 of my girls of my free range flock. My RIR and my Australorp. I love my rooster and my hens what should I do? I am definently keeping my hens and my 2 roosters. My hens backs are almost featherless should I do somthing before it gets any worse?????? Thanks

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Do a BYC search for chicken saddles. If you are intent on keeping them both, count on your hens being overbred. A saddle can offer some protection. Good luck to you!

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    How many hens do you have?

You need to do something quickly as the hen's feathers offer protection from the roosters nails and spurs. Things can get bad very quickly and serious injuries can be the result. If you are intent on keeping both roos then you should probably seperate 1 of them. It really isn't fair to the hens to be overbred and possibly injured because you want to keep them all.

I had 3 roos (1 got killed 2 days ago) and 1 of them was too interested in one particular hen. She had just gone broody and he was even chasing her off the nest to mate her. The other 2 roos were also attacking him when he'd try to mate with any of the hens. I built a bachelor pad for him. He is next to the run with his own little house and run. I will probably let him out again once my broody hatches out her babies but after the dog attack the other day, I may keep him cooped so I don't lose all of my roos.

4. I have 11 hens 2 roosters and 10 chicks we do not know if they are roo or hen because the are stll tiny little chicks

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'd definitely seperate a roo. You should have 1 roo to 8-12 hens. You can rotate them in with the girls too.

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    You could separate both roosters, if you going to keep both, and only let them with the hens a couple days a week until the chicks are grown. Once the chicks are grown, then see how the flock dynamics settle in when both are with the flock. I say separate both because that will not have an effect on how they get along.

7. sorry typed to fast on that post oops.

8. I will have more hens soon. One of my roosters only has 1 hen. He sneeks over to my other roosters hens though. One of my roosters (Oreo the on with 1 hen) is not very dominent and does not need many hens I dont know if I can seperate the roosters I may be able to take the RIR and BA in my house as indoor hens for 2 weeks for their back to heal would that work? I have a speacial coop for the new chicks so if any of the chicks are roosters that should be fine as long as only 1 is a rooster.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  9. anyone else? [​IMG]

10. I may (small chance) be able to get more hens. I could rescue some spent hens from an egg laying factory. (small chance on that whole sentence happening)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by