My Hen Is Being Complicated-- broody signs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HellurrJesse, Mar 20, 2013.

1. HellurrJesse

HellurrJesse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to BYC so I'm not sure how everything works just yet haha.

Well, I'll start off by saying that I have 2 hens--I THINK one is a Chantecler and the other one is a Buff Orpington for sure. I also have a Creole Chantecler rooster. The 'Chantecler' hen doesn't like my Buff Orpington and pecks her constantly, chases her away, and practically bullies her all the time. That's not my problem, though.

My Buff Orpington has definitely been showing signs of being broody, but she doesn't want to! It's honestly frustrating. She used to be the sweetest thing in the world and she always loved being petted, and now she practically hates my touch and growls at me. She'll stay at her nest (both my hens share the nest, unfortunately) for hours and she'll get really angry and puffs herself up if you try reaching out to her. Just when I think she'll finally stay in her nest though, she's then off rummaging through the yard and never returns to the nest. The other day, she actually slept on her eggs and I thought she FINALLY went broody, but she backed out of it! This is an off/on cycle, but she hasn't slept on her eggs since. I know for sure that she doesn't stay in her nest just to lay an egg, and she's not being lazy at all. She's very defensive about her eggs, too. She just can't make up her mind.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my rooster. He's always catching her and constantly mating with her. The other hen is much harder for him to catch, so he goes for the Orpington. I just really want her to finally settle down and hatch her eggs. My family and I are longing for baby chicks. :/

Any advice? I would really appreciate feedback!

2. OrpieLover31

OrpieLover31 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 5, 2012
    Earth
    She may be thinking about going broody. I know that my Blue Orpington is trying to decide if she wants to go broody again... she keeps on going back to the nesting box to sit on the eggs, but she always walks away to free range instead... I would not be surprised if she becomes broody within the next month! Just give your Buff Orpington some time to let her decide if she really wants to go broody. Its a big commitment, Buff Orpington's are known for going broody! I have a Buff Orpington, and my Lavender Orpington rooster keeps on mating with her too! It should not be long until she goes broody too! Good luck!

3. HellurrJesse

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks! She seems to have lost all will of hatching her eggs now. I was hoping she would snap out of it soon but now it seems like a lost case since my rooster hardly ever leaves her alone, too.

4. OrpieLover31

OrpieLover31 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 5, 2012
    Earth
    Okay!

5. BaileyFarm

BaileyFarm Out Of The Brooder

I read your thread about your broody Buff. I am not by any means an expert on chickens. I have been only raising them for 2 years for eggs. I have 13 mature hens and one rooster. I have observed my hens over the past year and have found that they sometime spend hours on the nest just to get away from the rooster. A rooster only needs to fertilize the hen once every 2 days if you want to raise chicks. Maybe your hen is trying to keep out of the way of the rooster since you only have 2 hens. He is keeping himself too busy. I would suggest seperating the rooster for awhile and see how the hens behave. Or if your area allowes, get another half dozen hens to keep the rooster busy and not pick on the same hen all the time. She could be stressing and not able to settle down to brood.
    BaileyFarm

6. HellurrJesse

Jan 13, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks so much! I figured he was some percentage of the problem! I was thinking about separating him or getting another hen! Hopefully I'll just get some more hens and hope that'll keep him busy! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by