my hen is breaking her eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iancurrannacearca, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Iancurrannacearca

Iancurrannacearca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    I am new at keeping hens and 1 of them breaks its egg once its laid.
    Is there any way of preveting it?[​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

You might have to try some type of roll away nest box. Once they start it's pretty hard to change the behavior.

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

as soon as you can get some wooden or ceramic eggs, a few times of the "OW!" of pecking on one of those, maybe she'll give up?

4. Iancurrannacearca

Jan 27, 2009
    good idea!
    I am getting more pullets soon, will they take after her and do the same?

5. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    I've had my chickens since last April and they have been great girls, but all of a sudden they started breaking and eating the eggs last week. I had separated the 2 that I thought were responsible, but I am still getting fewer and fewer eggs. I think that the other ones have picked up the habit.
    I don't know whether it is their diet, or just boredom, but I am going to have to build some roll away nest boxes, and hope that takes care of the problem. I have always had golf balls in the boxes, and they have plenty of other food and treats-
    the rotten ingrates!! it almost makes me want to just get rid of them all! - if the roll away boxes don't work, I guess that is what I'll have to do.

6. Iancurrannacearca

Jan 27, 2009
    I feel the same way as you!! lol.[​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    That's so weird, I have never had a hen intentionally break an egg. Usually, there isn't enough bedding in the nest box, so the egg cracks or breaks when it drops. I put some foam under the straw and the eggs were ok after that. I hose off the foam regularly.
    If an egg does break, from chickens playing football, fighting over a box or dropping it too far, they will eat it, everytime.
    Also, are you keeping the feed available all the time, 24/7? That can cause the problem, too.

Good luck! and [​IMG] !

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh shoot, I just remembered something else!

I kept finding shell pieces in my nest boxes- thought it was the hens. It wasn't. A yellow rat snake was helping himself daily to the eggs, and regurgitating the shells! So, another possibility.

9. Iancurrannacearca

Jan 27, 2009
    Thanks for the tips!!
    But this hen just smashes it with her beak!!!
    And they get fed 3 times a day.

10. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I culled two of mine that I could not make stop eating. The other suspects got isolated and cold water dips 3 times a day (advice of an old woman around here). Suppose to stop egg eating and setting. Worked for mine. I keep food available all the time and grains, grass, cabbage, etc, for them to scratch in all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by