1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen is crowing and not laying!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cebe51, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Cebe51

Cebe51 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Isabella, the beautiful little hen, has gone through some transformation last July! She has not been laying any eggs for 6 months and now she's crowing? Is this normal? Has she become a "transgender"? Help!!!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    here is a bunch of stuff to read on the subject:http://www.urbanchickenpodcast.com/ucp-episode-018/ Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

4. Cebe51

Cebe51 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Wow, thanks! I thought this was the case, but I am still hopeful that she will go back to being a hen. :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like another stealth rooster. They pretend to be girls until you get attached to them and then BOING - instant rooster.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

Are you sure "she" is a hen?

7. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

If "she" is crowing, I suspect that "she" isn't a hen. Only old hens or dominant hens tend to crow.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Chickens don't become transgender. If your hen is actually crowing (sometimes new chicken owners mistake the hen's song for a crow), then you have a rooster and not a hen. Hens do crow on very rare occasions, but it is almost always a hen over two years old that has taken over the role of the rooster in a roosterless flock. If you want to post a pic of your chicken, we can verify it's gender for you. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicken.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How about a picture? We love pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by