1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My hen is crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ejchick, Feb 6, 2017.

1. ejchick

ejchick In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    New Zealand
    I have three araucanas. They are at the moment 6 months old. All three are from what I understand are hens, they all look the same, no sign of spurs but Nancy my black hen tries to crow in the mornings just recently, it's a half hearted odd noise but at the same time she's very motherly to the other two and tucks them under her. We still have no eggs from anyone yet. What so say the people about this.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Free Ranging

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Could you post some pictures of her?

Spurs are not indicative of gender, especially in young birds. Even adult hens get them sometimes.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  3. ejchick

ejchick In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    New Zealand
    I sure can, its early morning here I'll get the kids off to school then get snapping!

4. ejchick

ejchick In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    New Zealand
    [​IMG]

It's not the best picture but the o my one I have handy right now

5. ejchick

ejchick In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    New Zealand
    [​IMG]

6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Free Ranging

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Ok, from what I can see it does look female.

Hens often crow in the absence of a rooster, though it is more unusual for a young pullet. You're sure on the age? The other two in the second picture look younger than 6 mos.

Could it just be the egg song?

7. LittlePip21

LittlePip21 Songster

Feb 5, 2017
    I've heard too that sometimes when there is no rooster, the dominant hen may start crowing. as far as i know, there is now sure fire way of telling until your getting eggs. my roosters never have spurs until they are around 2, so i would just watch for signs like rooster plumage, mounting, and crowing. of course, that doesn't always tell. I have a hen, she lays eggs, looks like a hen, but she tries to mount the other hens like a rooster! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017

8. ejchick

ejchick In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    New Zealand
    The two lavenders are atleast a month or more younger. She's definitely the top bird!

9. ejchick

ejchick In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    New Zealand
    [​IMG]

She's not really in the mood for the paparazzi today [​IMG]

10. ejchick

ejchick In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    New Zealand
    The egg song?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by