My HEN is CROWING????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MichelleKing, May 16, 2019 at 5:02 AM.

Tags:
  1. MichelleKing

MichelleKing Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    Ohio
    So, this morning I hear LOUD crowing outside. I am confused because I have no roosters outside. I have one rooster, a micro serama, and he is INSIDE my house where I can see him. No, this was a loud crow and it was definitely outside. I went outside to find my head hen, Cinnamon, crowing?????

She was out of the coop, no one else was out yet, and she was in a weird area of the run staring at something in my yard. She was very intent on whatever she was staring at. I couldnt see anything of noteworthiness.

I'm kind of freaking out. This is a two year old hen and she lays an egg every day and I've seen her lay eggs and she's gone broody before. Um....so?????

I have a video but I cant post it.

jolenesdad likes this.
  2. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    sounds like less of a crow and more of an alert call. If she was staring at something so intently, it could have been a predator or something that looked suspicious to her, and so she was warning the rest of the flock.

jolenesdad and MichelleKing like this.
  3. MichelleKing

MichelleKing Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    Ohio

That does make sense. She's VERY protective of the flock.

jolenesdad and Frazzemrat1 like this.
  4. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Did she extend her neck and puff out her throat a bit when she made the noise? If so it's a crow.

I've had crowing hens and pullets before. Either there's something in my water here or its more common than people think. I believe it is caused by hormone imbalances although that's just a guess.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Upload to youtube, then link here.
    Hens can crow, not too common, but not unprecedented especially when there's no male in the flock.

jolenesdad likes this.
  6. jolenesdad

jolenesdad Crowing

Apr 12, 2015
    Montgomery, TX
    Why is the rooster in the house? Have things changed outside recently?

When I separated out some of my flock when integrating last year and was dealing with some bullies, I had a hen who got all out of sorts and crowed for three or four days.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: