My Hen Is Drowning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jakenhoss, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

I came home today to find my hen laying on her side so I brought her in hoping that she was just cold. She was inside for about 1/2 hour and she started gurgling as if she has too much saliva in her mouth. I have attached a video. Maybe someone can give me some advice on how to treat or what to do. Thank you very much for your concern.

I can't get the video to upload but will keep trying. She also is having real labored breathing. She doesn't open her eyes either. I don't know what to do!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Any signs of illness prior to today?

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    That sound is probably fluid in her lungs, like pneumonia in humans.
    Sometimes it can be so bad, you can actually hold them upside down, and it will run out their mouth.
    Chickens can't really cough it up. I would give antibiotics.
    There is a thread for emergencies, did you look there yet?
    Good luck with her.

4. Jakenhoss

Quote:My husband let her out this morning because I had dr. appt. He said she drank a little and ate a small amount. He didn't see anything out of the norm, but he doesn't see them but every once in a while because they are my chickens. I came home and first thought she was cold. I didn't go out there for a few more hours. She is in pretty bad shape. She is inside and sleeping, but there is NO reaction from her when I talk to her. I read online the symptoms of pneumonia, and it sounds like she might have that. I can't get any meds, (hopefully) until the morning. Do you think I should try to give her water with a syringe, or just let her sleep now?
    Thank you for your concern and response to my need.

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I wouldn't try to force her to drink, it may make matters worse.
    See how she is in the morning, and keep her warm.

6. Jakenhoss

Quote:I read online about pneumonia and it sounds like the signs. Are you saying that I should hold her upside down so the fluid can drain out?
    Which antibiotic would you recommend? I did not look in the emergency thread yet, I just posted for some emergency help.
    Thank you very much for your response and concerns. I will be watching her throughout the night and hopefully she makes it until I can get her some medicine.

7. Jakenhoss

Quote:I have her in the dog kennel in my bathroom. I have 4 dogs and a cat so I have to be careful where I put her. She has a lot of straw in the kennel and blankets around the whole thing. It's about 68 degrees in there.

8. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    good luck with your chicken

9. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    I had 2 that had pneumonia earlier this year, it was very bad, they ended up basically drowning from all the fluid, I did treat them from day one with antibotics, but they died in a couple days. If you hold their head down and push on their crop, fluid should pour out. I wish you luck.

10. Jakenhoss

My poor Lucie Just died [​IMG]
    I guess she was just too far gone before I got to her. Too much fluid in her lungs.

Thank you all for your help and support.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by