My hen is dying and I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lucky509, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Lucky509

Lucky509 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    My beloved chicken is sitting in front of me dying. She has wry neck and after 2 months of treatment she is losing her battle. She cannot lift her head or stand, blood is coming out one of her eyes. Is there anything I can do? Should I take her to get euthanized? I am very heartbroken so any replies would be very much appreciated

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    If she is that far gone I think I would euthanize her if I were you. You could try Hypericum, but at this stage it might be too late. Search it on here, you will see it is good for neuro issues. I'm sorry she is so bad off.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    What were you treating her with?

4. Lucky509

Jun 9, 2012
    I was treating her with vitamin e, selenium, poly vi sol. She showed a bit of improvement but not much and then yesterday her eye was bleeding out globs of blood, and it just got worse and I applied pressure but it didn't help :(

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh that sounds horrible. I'm so sorry. I really don't know what to do to help you, but I'll send some prayers your way.

6. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That does sound horrible, it sounds like some kind of cancer. I'm so sorry, but I think I'd put her down. She sounds like she's suffering.
    [​IMG] AT least you tried.

7. Lucky509

Jun 9, 2012
    Thank you for the kind words everyone, but sadly she passed away while I was holding her in my lap. [​IMG] so was a cancer? I still am perplexed as to why only one eye was bleeding and why it was

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am so sorry you lost your hen. I don't know why she bled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by