1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen is eating her own eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lumom04, Jul 24, 2011.

1. lumom04

lumom04 New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    I am a newcomer to the backyard poultry raising field. Loving it, but all of a sudden the oldest chicken which was given to me last year has started eating her own eggs. She didn't do this when I first got her and lays some jumbo sized eggs. Two weeks ago I noticed she was antsy in her cage, went to check on her and found yolk all over her beak. I immediately started researching online options to stop this. I've been told golf balls in the house will work....one didn't so I put 5 in there and this morning as soon as she laid her egg she destroyed it.
    I give her sufficient food, table scraps, oyster shells, grit you name it but nothing is stopping her. Can anyone give me some advice here?

Thanks
    Debbie

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Breaking a hen from egg eating is a difficult and sometime impossible task. The best solution is to switch to a rollout nest box that takes the eggs away from her.

3. For The Love of Peeps

For The Love of Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    Hi Debbie,

My hen was doing the same thing. After about 2-3 days of golf balls and ostyer shells mine quit eating her eggs. Hopefully some "experts" will weigh in on this. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Opa is probably as expert as any on this. He has a plan for rollaway nest boxes on here, with pics. I've read that blown out, mustard filled eggs has sometimes worked. Hot sauce won't work.

5. sunnysilkie

sunnysilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    An egg probably cracked and she got curious. Keep her away from the other eggs (so she doesn't destroy them too) until she has stopped.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agreed. Either roll away beds to protect the eggs, or you'll likely facing having to cull her.

7. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Wow - cull her. Does she get a jury trial first? I understand trying to deter it, but it was HER egg after all.

Good luck with your hen.

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Quote:Maybe it's because I'm a grumpy old rooster but the way I look at it is that once it leaves her butt it is no longer "her egg" it's MINE. I have designed a two nest rollout nest box that if you email me I will send you the plans. I also designed a 6 nest box that is located at this link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=287684

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Cull means to remove. It does not ALWAYS mean to kill, although it often understood that way.

Those who wish to feed hens who eat eggs may do so. It is a free country. That she might also "teach" or encourage others to do so is also a risk others may take.
    Me? Not so much.

10. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I read on a university extension site to give bowls of milk for a few days to break egg eating. Perhaps some types of calcium are better assimilated than others. I had one egg eaten and no more after giving milk. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by