My Hen is Going Bald

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My silkie hen Dusty has been losing her head feathers the past couple days. She's now almost completely bald. i checked her for mites and lice and did not see any. She's not getting picked on as she is actually the top hen, and i haven't seen or heard any fighting in the pen. Could she be molting from the top down? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Do you have a rooster in with her? If so he may be doing that during mating. Some of my girls look like that and it is because of my roosters mating with them.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    No, no roosters, just girls in that pen. And everything has been very peaceful between all the ladies. i have a baby monitor with sound and video so i can monitor things from the house.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've had a few silkies lose their head puff hair because it was getting in their way of eating and mud was getting stuck on their heads. I think one of mine might had scratched out a lot of her own feathers. I keep small crested silkies and don't hesitate to trim, I think their little fros get in the way and some figure out how to take care of it.

Else she is moulting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by