My hen is having breathing probs.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by guineafowlguy, Feb 25, 2013.

1. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    I found a chicken today who was having trouble breathing.

She didn't show it. She was acting like a chicken running around chasing things. I just noticed i heard a strange sound coming from her.

I piked her up (my chickens don't run away) and heard a rattling noise when she would breath.

She is a fat chicken no weight loss. Plenty strong just breathing doesn't sound right.

What would you think this is? Chicken pneumonia?

Should i give her some kind of antibiotic?

Thanks

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Look in the mouth at the back of the bird's throat. Tell me what you see.

3. guineafowlguy

Jan 9, 2013
    I looked down its throat and didn't see anything.

Only stuff that was supposed to be in there.

My chicken is still gurgling. The best i could describe the sound is like sucking the last of a milkshake through a straw.

So i would think there is moisture in the lungs or something.

What should i give her?

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Well, first thing is feel the crop to see if it is full, hard or squishy. Sometimes gurgling happens as a result of an impacted crop/sour crop. This might determine what medication to use. You'd probably smell something unpleasant from the mouth if it were sour crop.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If the crop feels normal, it is probably respiratory and you'll need to get some Tylan 50 injectable from the feed store. Inject 1/2 cc with a 25 gauge needle under the skin on the back of the neck. If she is over 5 lbs., inject an additional 1/2 cc in the breast muscle. Do it once a day for 5 days.

6. Branman1971

Branman1971 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    My chicken had the same breathing problem when I brought her home last week. I gave her Terra-vet 10, its an antibiotic that goes in their water and it seemed to help. I have been giving it to them for 4 days now, and the only time I can notice the gurgling is when I hold her and I can feel it in her chest when breathing but it was VERY loud before. She didn't go into the coop last night though, and when i went to get her she I saw that she had expelled an egg but it was broken. I saw no shell pieces in the egg. I heard not too good things when this happens to a hen and I am pretty bummed out about it.

7. guineafowlguy

Jan 9, 2013
    The craw is full mostly becuase i put her in a cage with food and water lol. I let her have all she wanted.

I guess i could go and smell the chicken [​IMG]

I will be back with a reply to the smell. [​IMG]

8. guineafowlguy

Jan 9, 2013
    I just smelled the chicken. The result is it smells like a chicken [​IMG] Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm just going to treat her with some antibiotic and see if it clears up. Also I wont get sick by sniffing what it exhales right?

9. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    No, you won't catch anything. Tylan 50 is the first recommendation as an antibiotic. If you want to use a water dispersible, at least use LS-50.

10. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I just found one of mine having the same trouble. But she wasn't even making any noise - just opening and closing her mouth. I just got back from a four day trip. Before I left I noticed she was coughing a bit, but i didn't worry because I know every once in a while one will do that. But when I went to let them out this morning she didn't come out. She was still sitting on roost. I picked her up and tried to check her out but she just squirmed. I tried to feel her crop but she jerked away and escaped from my arms. I came straight here to find out what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by