My hen is laying at night on the roost!

abserbean

Songster
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Florida
My RSL hen, about 6mths old, lays her egg while on the roost either during the night or really early in the morning. She has laid in the nest box before, but only a few times, and usually she lays while roosting. Is there any way to reset her laying clock so she is laying during the day? So far none have broken b/c I have a pretty thick layer of pine shavings, but I would really prefer for it to not be laid where all of the poop is. I did look up suggestions on the forum, maybe our nest box is too low, but I can't really move it up b/c we are short on space. I'm not even sure it is on purpose, does anyone else have a hen that lays while she is asleep? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

My leghorns lay from the roost but not when they're sleeping. I'm trying to break them of it. I'm going to remove the roost/poopboard during the day until they all start laying in the nestbox.

I wouldn't know what to do if it was night time ......

Well, after weeks of her laying from the roost at night, we finally have an egg in a nest box! I added a cardboard box to the coop full of shavings, and this morning she laid in that. Maybe she just doesn't like the nest box? I don't know why, the other hens seem to like it just fine, they even fight over it! The box is open on the top, so maybe she didn't like being covered? Not sure, but I hope it keeps working, it's nice to have clean eggs!

Back
Top Bottom