1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen is laying, but for how long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Georgia Dream, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Georgia Dream

Georgia Dream Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2014
    Georgia
    Hey y'all!

My American Game hen (blackberry) is laying eggs, and so far its been 1 medium egg every other day. Now im new to this chicken business, so my question is how long does an American Game hen usually lay? Or is it the same for all chickens? I need to know because another hen of mine i feel is about to start her first laying aswell.

Thanks so much!! :)

2. emma p

emma p Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    They normally lay very well for five years but will keep laying for longer that is just about their peak. They will take small breaks in laying eggs through the year, when they molt and sometimes during the winter. It can be different for different breeds but from what I have learned it is mostly just from hen to hen how they do.

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    I let nature determine how long my hens will lay. I do nothing to encourage more eggs in that I don't put lights in the coop, etc. I've had some hens lay for 7 to 8 years. I had one, Hannah Banana lay an egg when she was 10!!!!!

Yes, they slow way down in the winter as there isn't as much daylight. They amount of hours of daylight will determine how often a hen will lay. Some more than others throughout the year.

They will slow way, way down when they are molting or broody as well as in the winter.

Geri

4. Georgia Dream

Dec 26, 2014
    Georgia
    Thanks this really helps me :) Im new to this whole chicken business so, im still learning all the ropes :)

5. Georgia Dream

Dec 26, 2014
    Georgia
    Wow congratulations on Hannah's egg :) I just started with these chicks and ive had them about 6 months and Blackberry just started laying, so im still learning as we go :) Shes doing well for her first time. i think im more stressed about everything then she is. lol

6. Jajika

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Ha! Isn't that the truth. As "parents" or pet owners, we always get more stressed out than the little ones or critters we care for.

I know I anthropomorphize my chickens like crazy. You see people do it all the time. It's how we like to relate to them to make them more of our family.

Am I the only one who can truly see that Phoebe (my Barred Rock) really gets different expressions on her chicken face??? Only we know it's true even if others think we are nuts, right?

7. Georgia Dream

Dec 26, 2014
    Georgia
    Oh im right there with you! Bossman ( my rooster) is such a butt sometimes! he has a strict get up out the coop and go running around and chasing the girls thing in the morning, and he gets SOOO fussy if i put out breakfast before he gets done playing because then the girls are more interested in the food then playing tag. So i get the "buck buck buck" lecture from him lol and recently ive been getting so upset with him because hes been really focusing on Blackberry (my laying girl) and really pushed Penelope down the chicken role to where he will actually run her off from the food. So ive been having to make myself into a blocker to keep him from running and pecking her and scaring her from the food. Blackberry is doing the same thing. Hes always giving me dirty looks as im standing there keeping him from her. :/ Parenting chickens....who knew this would be me a year ago lol

8. Jajika

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    I can see you and I have a lot in common in terms of living with our hens.

Don't they just make you crazy sometimes and don't you just love em to death?

I'm not sure who misses whom more during the day...me or my chickens. If I don't get to hug them at least once a day, I'm sad....

How's that for silly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by