My hen is laying rubber eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Iluvmychickens, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hi-I hope someone can help me-Not sure if I am posting this in the right area- My hen Emma is about 1 1/2 yrs old. She is very healthy, active, clear eyes, no coughing, sneezing etc.
    *****PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS MYSTERY ASAP*****
    Her problems are:

She used to lay "normal" eggs- Large to Extra large. In the past 2 months her eggs are all rubbery. No hardness to the shell at all. They sometimes break as soon as they come out. She does get in a nest but she always stands up with her head bent under her like is is watching the egg come out. We have been giving her ground egg shells in her food and we also have oyster shell in her food. She eats Purina Layena food. Water is changed daily.

Her poop is all liquid, light brown in color with white mixed in it. She has never had a "normal" poop since she was born. She did have coccidious when she was 5 months old and we treated her and never had another flare up. She also had a bout of worms at the same time and never another occurance. She is a mixed breed chicken and weighs 4-5 pounds. No rapid weight gain nor has she lost weight.

2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Does she have access to oyster shell?

3. Iluvmychickens

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We have been giving her ground egg shells in her food and we also have oyster shell in her food. She eats Purina Layena food. Water is changed daily.

4. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Hmm, I was going to guess a calcium deficiency. I keep a separate hopper of oyster shell so they can eat free choice.
    It couldn't hurt.

Hopefully someone with more experience will give you a better idea.

5. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    Give her a bowl of plain oyster shell and keep adding it to the feed.

6. Iluvmychickens

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    tHANK YOU ALL

7. DeeThomas

DeeThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Calcium, give it, calcium supplements.

8. Iluvmychickens

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    In what form liquid? powder? Any type used for human consumption OK? And how much?

Thanks,
    DeeDee

9. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    use the search button for calcium deficiency and I think you'll find someone more knowledgeable than me.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by