my hen is lethargic and her comb and waddle looks wilted **HELP**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by medtec113, Aug 8, 2010.

1. medtec113

medtec113 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2010
    Alabama
    This morning I found my 6 month old leg horn lying in the run. The other chickens were stepping on her and she let me walk right up and pick her up. She is very lethargic and will not eat or drink. She appears to just stand and stare. Her comb looks wilted not the vibrant red it should be. We have had some extremely hot days 100+ but I have tried to keep them cool with fans and cool water. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with her. The other chickens appear to be fine. No evidence of trauma either.

2. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Can you take pics? That might help us a little bit.

Separate her from the flock in some shade and give her water through a dropper of some sort. See if she will drink if you stick her beak in the water.

3. medtec113

Feb 14, 2010
    Alabama
    I put her inside and I am attempting to get some pics of her to post her for you guys to help

4. medtec113

Feb 14, 2010
    Alabama
    forgot how to post a pic

5. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Is it possible that someone has had a good hard peck at her head ? You might not see any damage, they seem to like to go for round the eyes and round the ears.
    Or is she the lowest in the pecking order and they've been keeping her away from the food or water.

If she has an empty crop try her with some mushed up boiled egg / scrambled egg, if you struggle with the water dropper bread soaked in water will get fluids into her

It's wise to keep her away from everyone until you figure it out

6. medtec113

Feb 14, 2010
    Alabama
    ok I gave her a warm massage bath but didnt feel any egg. I also lubed her vent up to the first knuckle and didnt feel any egg. When I turned her over on her back, she began to have foul smelling fluid run out of her mouth. I made her a scambled egg and vitamin water but she refuses to acknowledge it is even there. Its not looking good for the home chicken. any advise? here is a pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Is that a huge big balloon of a crop? Is it really soft and squidgy?
    Check the forums, or the internet, for 'Sour Crop' and see if the description matches.
    If it looks the same as Sour Crop there's plenty of advice on here.

eta : check this link Sour Crop

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  8. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Eww, yeah. I think Sour Crop too, with the nastiness coming from her mouth. Poor girl, I hope you can help her. Good luck [​IMG]

9. medtec113

Feb 14, 2010
    Alabama
    Ok, I followed the advice for sour crop. I massaged her crop with her on her side careful to suction what came out. Only liguid came out. It did smell bad though. her crop didnt feel hard or squishy at least as far as I could tell. I mixed up some yogurt with a little water and apple cider viniger and fed her with a syringe (about 5cc) She is back in the dog crate but has no gumption. just wants to lay right where I put her down at. Any suggestions? How often should i do this?

10. medtec113

Feb 14, 2010
    Alabama
    Well, despite our best efforts Pablo died last night. I dont have any idea what was wrong with her. Fine one day , lethargic the next, then dead the next. Hope the others are ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by