My hen is lethargic and something is hanging out of her anus/ egg shoot/ whatever it is called!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grnidone, Oct 5, 2016.

1. grnidone

grnidone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2016
    Russell, Kansas
    She keeps trying to pass it. She was lethargic and went to bed early and this is hanging out of her rear! She has been trying to pass it for a few minutes now!

1. What is this?
    2. IS this an emergency?
    3. What do I do? Do I try to help her by pulling it out?

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Very gently pull it out.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's a shell less egg, and not an emergency unless she has an infection. Do you have a vet you can consult with tomorrow?

-Kathy

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy grnidone

That looks like a soft shelled egg which has broken as she is trying to lay it.

Soft shells are tricky for the hen to lay as the muscles are not able to grip it and push.

While I am not an expert on what ails chickens, I have a hen who lays the occasional soft shell and on one occasion, one got stuck similar to yours.

I gently removed as much of the shell as I could and then sat her in a warm bath to help her relax. She deposited some more shell while in the bath and the rest overnight while on the roost. She made a full recovery.

As Casportpony has mentioned, there is a risk of infection due to yolk and egg white.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. grnidone

Jul 9, 2016
    Russell, Kansas
    How do I prevent this in the future?

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hens will occasionally lay a soft shelled egg but if it is frequent it could be due to calcium levels not being high enough.

Do you provide oyster shell grit for your girls?

Other causes can be:
    Hot Days
    Overweight
    Old Age
    Stress
    Or infection/inflammation

2 people like this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I recently had a hen was clearly ill from it being the membrane being stuck inside inside for several days, so she was given antibiotics, fluids, calcium, Meloxicam, and was kept in a warm room. Your hen is probably going to be fine, but do keep an eye on her.

-Kathy

8. grnidone

Jul 9, 2016
    Russell, Kansas
    It wasn't an egg. It was either part of a rubber glove or a condom. YUK!

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are you sure?

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by