My hen is limping and her right eye is half closed. Also my rooster is acting lethargic.

Peanut_better

Hatching
Jul 30, 2019
She is a sebright and old English game bantam. She hatched in April of this year. Her name is coffee.

It started off with her right eye being half closed which I noticed on Friday Oct 9. Then she started limping yesterday on Oct 11. It's like she's constantly kneeling to lay an egg however by dad stuck his finger in her vent and there was nothing there. I saw her poop was watery yesterday but I haven't seen her poop today. She can't perch anymore so she slept in her nesting box. Non of my other chickens attacked her. She's layed about 3 eggs since the beginning of October.
IMG_20201012_112837.jpg This is her right eye. I took this picture today.

As for my rooster we call Constantine I got him in July of this year. I can't give an exact number on how old he is but I estimate he's at least 10 months old.
He used to wander around my yard, chase the hens, and perch on my arm. However he doesn't seem interested in those anymore and doesn't want to go outside. He just looks sad. He's been like this for 2 weeks. He isn't limping, he's not pale, he eats but slowly, he doesn't appear to have diarrhea, and he can still perch. We do own another rooster, an old English game bantam, but he avoids him and we keep them in separate coops.
I do keep Constantine and Coffee in the same coop along with 2 other hens but those hens look normal. They don't appear to have lost weight. IMG_20201012_115459.jpg This is Constantine and Coffee together. I took this picture today.
If any of you have any ideas of what's wrong I'd really appreciate it.

Which leg is she limping on? Does she hold the leg up, put a little weight on it, or drag it? Was she or the other chickens vaccinated for Mareks?

Which leg is she limping on? Does she hold the leg up, put a little weight on it, or drag it? Was she or the other chickens vaccinated for Mareks?
She's limping on her right leg. She's trying to put weight on it when she walks and finding it difficult but when she stands she lifts the leg up. The hen wasn't vaccinated for Mareks. However I'm not sure about the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom