My hen is limping and it has been getting worse and worse!!! HELP

ShariM

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
THis has been going on for about 3 wks.... she started a little limp... now she will barely put any weight on it.... She has stopped laying too.. which i am assuming is common when a chicken is hurt... I am not sure how she did it... I have looked at picks of bumblefoot and it doesnt appear to be that.... We tried quarentining her.... but she got really stressed out... we even put her perch mate on with her and that was horrible.... we have tried vitamins... i dont know what to do for her and it seems to be getting worse and worse... She is a dixie rainbow and she is 7 months old... and now her other leg is swollen from the compensation of the injured leg..

I hope it gets better, mine has been limping for 3 weeks as well. Worse and worse as time went on with no sign of trauma until last week the leg started to get red. I ended up taking to the vet to avoid losing her and she is now on baytril, painkillers, and anti inflammatories. She seems to be slowly getting better.

I know vet trips are spendy and I had to drive a ways but I am glad I did it

I would like to try the anti inflammatory.... how much and what type to i give her?

I got mine through the vet, I would have to check the bottle to see what it is called. It is actually the pain killer too.

Maybe others who are more familiar can chime in on some over the counter ones that may be ok to give her

I hope it improves! I know how stressful it is to watch them go through it and not know how to help them

Back
Top Bottom