My hen is listless,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kacklinkelly, Aug 17, 2014.

1. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    I have a 1 1/2 year old RIR (feed store chick). She has been our skinniest hen, best layer with largest egg. Within the past 5 days, her laying has decreased to only one egg (yesterday) and the size is smaller. It is HOT (104) and HUMID here. I noticed some time ago that her feathers were looking picked on or just thinning out. I increased protein at that time and it seemed to improve the appearance of the feathers minimally. I started feeding feather fixer today mixed in with their regular Nutrena. She is now hiding under a bush, not running for treats, her comb and wattles are faded. She is typically very social and "talkative". Any feedback is appreciated. I'm thinking I need to get her something like gatorade for chickens or try to worm her. I only have 3 chickens and they are exposed to native birds trying to steal the chicken feed.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

A few thoughts: Heat and humidity are very hard on chickens. Make sure they have deep shade and some place to cool off, preferably with a fan, and a place to wet their feet, even if it's just a puddle in the shade. Heat stress can definitely cause laying to be off and cause lethargic birds with pale combs/wattles. You might try bringing her in where it's cool and see if she perks up. This would also let you observe how much she is eating and what her poops look like.

If these birds have never been dewormed now is the time to do so. Get some Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats and give each bird 0.5 cc with a needless syringe, repeat the dose in 10 days. And consider deworming your birds twice a year to stay on top of worm loads. Worms are very damaging to birds and it's better for their health to keep them under control.

Laying may also taper off at this time of year as birds get ready to molt. Many of my hens have decreased laying or stopped altogether and the feathers are starting to appear on the floor.

There are more things that can cause the symptoms you describe but that is where I'd start and see if she perks up.

3. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    Thank you for your response. I did bring her in, attempted to give her electrolytes through a dropper. She took very little. I Bathed her because she had some ants on her, offered her water but she declined. I held her for a while and she passed away in my arms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by