My hen is making clear watery scat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EverVon, Mar 21, 2015.

1. EverVon

EverVon New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    So today, I was taking my flock of hens outside to graze in an open field. As I was sitting down on the grass, I noticed that one of my hens had a very pasty and bare looking bottom. This, was surprising to me, considering that the bottom's of my other hens are completely covered with thin, silky feathers, and no skin is showing. I got a little closer, and I saw that her feathers around her bottom were matted down by what looked like a clear slimy discharge. Concerned, I herded my flock back inside their run and grabbed a napkin to wipe her bottom. The napkin was brownish after I had wiped her, with what seemed to be poop. I let her graze in the field while I went back to the house to get her some of the new scratch I'd gotten. When I came back, she was surrounded by three large puddles of the slimy goo that I had seen on her bottom. these puddles were fairly large, and very clear. I poked them with a stick and they turned out to be very watery, not at all solid. I had lefter her alone only for about 15 minutes while I was in the house, (leaving the dog to watch her of course) so she must be making these poops about every five minutes. Poor girl. After that I basically gave her gizzard a massage and put her in the coop with the rest. I'm afraid I don't know what to do in this situation. I've had hens with lice, and bumble foot, but not this. I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Hello, welcome to our flock! [​IMG] Here is a link to the probable problem http://www.poultryhub.org/physiology/body-systems /digestive-system/ and how to fix it. In the link, there is a small pic of chicken anatomy. Right click on it and open it in a new private window, then it will be full size. Ask any more questions you may have! Someone is always around to answer! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by