My hen is mounting the other hens as if she were a rooster!

heddahawaii

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
Aloha All! I have four bard rocks and four Americana chickens all grown from day old chicks together and are now 15 months old. All 8 laying great! They are in a chicken tractor coop and fed entirely organic store bought feed. Three of the Americana chickens have lost all of the feathers on their back. I have never seem them picking each other. But I just saw one of the Bard rocks MOUNT one of the Americana as if she were a rooster! She was pretty aggressive and her feet were digging into the other's back. So I am thinking the loss of feathers is from this behavior? Anyone heard of this before? They are all very tame and like to be pet each day when fed. I am using Pick No More and it seems to be helping a little. THANKS!

heddahawaii

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
Yes and I will also post of photo of the three with the missing feathers; I'll get those today and post them tomorrow; thank you!~
IMG_7034.JPG
IMG_7031.JPG

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
They look like they are suffering feather loss from the overmating a rooster would do. Any pictures of the perpetrator?

heddahawaii

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
I have a hen that is the head hen, and she does that some times.. also have roos
OH, I bet the one doing it IS the head-honcho! Do you think that is what is causing the loss of feathers? Did you see the photo? Think it is anything else? THANK YOU!

heddahawaii

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
They look like they are suffering feather loss from the overmating a rooster would do. Any pictures of the perpetrator?
That is what I was thinking; I am not sure which one of my girls is doing this behavior. If I catch them in the act, I'll try to grab a photo.

Top Bottom