My Hen is not clucking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by a.liddell, Nov 30, 2011.

1. a.liddell

a.liddell New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    This morning went out to feed and one of my year old hens is stretching her neck, and not clucking. Nothing seems to be swollen, she is acting normal other than shaking and stretching neck when she opens her beak nothing come out. Any suggestions on whats wrong with her.

2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Why do you think something is wrong with her? Sounds pretty chicken-normal to me...... ??

3. a.liddell

a.liddell New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    Well it kinda seems like she cant cluck, air comes out its just not right.

4. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    I'm no expert on this, but a few thoughts...

Sometimes they move there heads and open their mouths to do a crop adjustment. could be as simple as that.

Did you notice any other symptoms?

Two other thoughts,
    1. is her crop full in the morning, is it not draining? is she moving her neck like a snake? if so, could be sour crop or impacted crop.
    2. hens open their mouths (gaping) when they have gapeworm, can you open her mouth and take a peek in her throat? I think they are red. But again, I don't have much experience.

Perhaps someone will have some better answers. I know how it can be when you think a girl is sick!
    Hope your little girl is fine and this is just a little crop adjustment. Good luck!

5. a.liddell

a.liddell New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks ladies but she is gone...sad. I think it was gapeworm but dont know for sure. Continue to research.

6. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Make sure you check your other chickens as I think they can catch it from eachother very easily. May want to treat flock just in case.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by