My hen is not right

meghanrae

Hatching
Aug 5, 2022
I have had a hen that I’ve noticed a difference in the last two months. She doesn’t have a good balance, she can’t be out with the other flock because they hurt her and caused her to bleed by pecking her so bad. She can’t defend herself and I feel terrible because I don’t know what to do. I had a friend come over that knows chickens very well and she said that it’s not Meriçs and it’s not all of the other worrisome diseases, but I’m not really sure what it is and what to do. We brought her inside and she is now living in a Tupperware that is large but it is no life for her to live. Please help me and figuring out what is wrong, I’m not really sure what it is and what to do. Please help me in figuring out what is wrong with her she is my favorite hen and I don’t want to see her die :(.

Answer these questions, we need more information.
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

It's actually pretty hard to know for sure if she has mereks or not from just looking at her, given, mereks symptoms are noticable, but many illnesses can look like mereks and perfectly healthy looking chickens can have it. Usually a necropsy is performed to confirm it.
Do her eyes look funny? Have you tried vitamins for wry neck? what is her diet? what's the temperatures there? Have you tried tube feeding her or given any water or food? Is she eating?

I have had a hen that I’ve noticed a difference in the last two months. She doesn’t have a good balance, she can’t be out with the other flock because they hurt her and caused her to bleed by pecking her so bad. She can’t defend herself and I feel terrible because I don’t know what to do. I had a friend come over that knows chickens very well and she said that it’s not Meriçs and it’s not all of the other worrisome diseases, but I’m not really sure what it is and what to do. We brought her inside and she is now living in a Tupperware that is large but it is no life for her to live. Please help me and figuring out what is wrong, I’m not really sure what it is and what to do. Please help me in figuring out what is wrong with her she is my favorite hen and I don’t want to see her die :(.
Welcome To BYC

Can you get a video of her movements, actions?
For video, up load to Youtube and provide a link.

How old is she?
What do you feed?

Having an off balance, I would start with vitamin therapy. 400 IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with egg to help with the uptake of E.
See that she's eating her normal feed and drinking.

Not sure how Marek's disease could be ruled completely out unless testing is done. It can present in multiple ways. Even birds that are vaccinated can become symptomatic.

You are right. Living in a large tote from now on is not a way to live.
Is she able to move about on her own power and eat/drink on her own? If so, consider providing her a separate outside area where she can enjoy the outdoors during the day.

Good suggestions from the others. I would add eyesight to the questions.

Look her eyes over carefully, as @nuthatched suggested. Notice any difference in one from the other. Notice color of the irises and if they appear the same. Then give her some eye tests. Test the right eye for close vision by dropping some live meal worms or some scratch grain at her feet. Does she see it? Does she manage to hit what she aims at?

Test far vision by holding her favorite food above her head and to the left about your shoulder height. Does she notice it?

A chicken that is blind or seriously vision impaired has poor balance and may not be getting enough to eat and that can also affect balance.

Do you have an area fenced off from the other chickens where she could be? A wire dog crate with food and water could be located in the run or area where the others are hanging out. Those are good for separating a sick chicken. Can she stand and walk some?

It's actually pretty hard to know for sure if she has mereks or not from just looking at her, given, mereks symptoms are noticable, but many illnesses can look like mereks and perfectly healthy looking chickens can have it. Usually a necropsy is performed to confirm it.
Do her eyes look funny? Have you tried vitamins for wry neck? what is her diet? what's the temperatures there? Have you tried tube feeding her or given any water or food? Is she eating?
She eats and drinks fine thankfully. Her eyes look normal to me, i did give her vitamins in her food and water to help her gain strength Back up and it definitely worked. She’s about 4 months old, and I just transitioned her to be off of the chick food. Temperatures are comfortable.

She eats and drinks fine thankfully. Her eyes look normal to me, i did give her vitamins in her food and water to help her gain strength Back up and it definitely worked. She’s about 4 months old, and I just transitioned her to be off of the chick food. Temperatures are comfortable.
It could be wry neck, I'd give the vitamin E and b complex a shot.

Back
Top Bottom