1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen is pooping blood !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrscbass, Aug 8, 2013.

1. mrscbass

mrscbass Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Utah
    I am a new member to this site and love it. I am a new found lover of raising chickens. I have a question about one of my hens. She is a very active and noisy brown sex link. She is 21 weeks old. I believe she has started to lay because we have been getting an egg every day, but we also have 7 other hens, BUT she shows all the signs. We are about 75% it's her.
    This morning I found two puddles of blood in the coop. I found her on the roost still at 8:30 am. Her comb is very faded and pale. She is hardly moving and making no noise. She is drinking water though, lots of it. She is just standing by her water like a zombie while closing her eyes and shifting her weight.
    My daughter and I separated her from the flock and she has since been lying down. We did see her poop blood. What is wrong!? I am so new to all of this and don't know what to do!!! Help!!

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Put them all on Corid immediately. Blood in the droppings is a symptom of advanced coccidiosis. It's caused by an internal parasite.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Bring her inside and get her warm. If she were mine, I would stabilize her, weigh her, dust her for bugs and de-worm her with fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) and I'd probably also treat her for coccidiosis with amprolium (Corid or Amprol).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

4. mrscbass

Aug 8, 2013
    Utah
    Well she died. :( I was only aware of her being sick for 2 hours this morning!!

As for the poop i found 3 puddles of blood it didnt even look like poop. It was thick like an egg white but all blood and some clear mucus.

All of my other hens seem fine. Should I really be worried?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  5. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    You need to treat EVERYONE!!! I had 3 out of 14 who got very sick.....I almost lost 2 of them....I treated all 14 of them.....I caught mine rather early, did not see the bloody stools but had all the other symptoms. Best wishes...

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not an expert but it almost sounds as if she had some kind of hemorrhage from her reproductive organs, but I would get some Corid just to be cautious in case someone else acts lethargic. If it is cocci, it sounds like a very bad strain.

7. mrscbass

Aug 8, 2013
    Utah
    Thanks everyone. My kids are devastated!! It's so sad. Where would I buy Corid?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. If you live I the US,You should know that many States offer free or inexpensove necropsy services. It's a very personal thing and even though they are free in CA, I often choose to bury the ones I'm attached to. Again, sorry for your loss. {{{{hugs}}}}

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you're in the US, you will find Corid and wormers in the cattle, goat and horse sections of most feed stores.

-Kathy

10. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    I am sorry for your loss! We have lost 2 birds, and my kids were miserable both times - it was awful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by