1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My hen is possesed!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shastagoose, Jul 15, 2008.

1. shastagoose

shastagoose Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    This is a first.. I have a 7 month old hen that stopped laying 4 weeks ago. She refuses to let the others in the nests" 3", to lay. Tonight, as I was tucking the girls in for their "nite nite", She was hogging the nests, as usual. As I went to pick her up, gently of course, she stood up... and squatted down, and sucked up one of the eggs with her vent as fast as she could... What the...? I have NEVER seen this behavior before... Is she possesed? I think we might need an " EGGSORCISM" or something... any suggestions? If this doesn't stop, than it's fresh bbq soon. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    She did what?

BTW, the proper word is vent. Please edit your post to be family friendly and child safe.

3. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    LOL! I am so sorry, but I cannto quit laughing. It is a baby snatcher! Hand that rocks the roost![​IMG]

4. shastagoose

May 12, 2008
    Baby snatcher? That's a good one. What the heck do I do about this folks...?

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* THAT is one screwed-up hen!! She's got her egglaying equipment stuck in REVERSE!!!!!! ~:eek:

6. Rabid Vulture

Rabid Vulture Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Sherwood, Oregon
    Are you sure she wasn't in the middle of laying you just scared her into reverse? I dunno, the whole sucking up eggs thing sound rather odd. xD Maybe she is possessed?

7. shastagoose

May 12, 2008
    You got that right.. I am blown away.. If you saw the look on my face....[​IMG]

8. shastagoose

May 12, 2008
    No.. she wasn't layin.. she lays brown eggs. She was sucking up one of green one's.. [​IMG]

9. michigan chick

michigan chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Sparta MI
    I know that this wasn't a funny, but thanks for the laugh. And I am sorry about your possessed hen.

10. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Dang! I aint never heard of that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by