My hen is puffed up and can't walk very well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 15shenyl, Oct 2, 2013.

1. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I found one of my hens under a bush yesterday and she was just laying there puffed up not moving. She got up and came to get food and was doing good. Today I come home and she is laying in the middle of the yard puffed up. I looked her over and nothing seems wrong. She is in a playpen now, she's puffed up and her mouth is open. I checked to see if she was egg bound, but I didn't feel an egg, she is also a year and several months and hasn't laced an egg or a month or so. Please tell me what I can do for her.

2. Sorry to hear about your hen. I am not a vet but am trying to help.

I would offer some sugar in the water for her to see how she responds. Also some soft foods may be have to be force fed. I would start with that to see if it helps at all. Then keep looking for some more signs to help narrow it down. Keep her warm but not hot to keep her from any stress of temp change.

There are many things that can effect the health of a chicken but I would start here and see what helps.

Wish ya the best.

3. 15shenyl

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    She eats small amounts of watermelon every so often and she won't drink any water. Her tail is now pointing down. She is in the house right now in a pin, tonight I am outing her in a crate in the pullets coop.

4. I have had similar sick bird situations. Though, I am not comparing because I do not know what for sure was wrong with mine or yours. Can you pour some sugar water down her beak to see if that helps? Or maybe some cooked oatmeal to see if the strength it provides helps her recover?

5. budgielover101

budgielover101 New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    maybe she's a broody hen. I had a broody and she wouldn't eat or drink and would sit there all puffed up without any eggs.

6. On the lighter side. It would be a hoot if she was broody. Maybe she doesn't have eggs to sit so she just goes into mode in the middle of the yard. Crazy chicken.

Though if it is a sickness I don't know what else to recommend for ya.

7. 15shenyl

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    She's not broody, my hens have never gone broody, there a breed that doesn't. I did find feathers(lots of feathers) under the bush, so many something got in today and chased the hens around. I put her in a crate for the night in the the young hens. She did eat and drink, a lot, she may have just been dehydrated. I just don't don't want to loose any more hens, I have already had one killed by a dog, one attacked(she made it), all my grand champion roosters stolen, I just can't loose any more, if it keep going, I won't have any chickens to show any more. I care so much for my hens, there pets and they know it too, their part of the family, they even sit by the door waiting for me to come home.
    I know there really isn't anything you can do but give me advice, thanks. She's at least eating and drinking now, I just need to keep a eye on her.

8. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    So you said she quit laying eggs about a month ago? A friend of mine's chickens did this and she treated them for worms and mites and everyone started laying again. I think she gave them Invermectrin. I am not sure of the spelling make sure this is the right thing to treat with before you do it though. My memories is a little rusty and it is too late to ask tonight. That would be a reason she would have quit laying and she could be puffed up because, she doesn't feel well. It is worth a try it can't hurt. If she is broody she would growl when you try to pick her up. If she isn't doing that I would lean towards the fact that she isn't feeling well. Sugar water and yogurt and all that stuff is good but, if she has mites or worms she won't get better unless you treat it.

Is she showing any other symptoms? Trouble breathing, runny nose or anything. Is being puffed up, sitting in one place and not laying eggs the only symptoms she has?

9. 15shenyl

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I locked her up for a few days in a crate and she is now bact to normal! I do need to give them worming medicine again though just to be safe, I do that once a year. I think she some how hurt her leg. All the chickens have been very stressed lately too because a fire burned down their coop and they had to move twice now between two different coops. On the bright side I built the nesting boxes yesterday and foun two eggs! My hens may be old but they are still great to us!

10. andreshernandez

andreshernandez New Egg

Nov 5, 2016
    I have a hen, Rose, and she has been siting down, and has been barely eating. She also has this yellow-gooish stuff coming out from her vent. I am worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by