My hen is REALLY broody

iluvpeeps

Songster
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Somewhere
I have this tiny hen named Fry and she's gotten so broody lately. About a week ago she started sitting on three eggs and she wouldn't let me collect them and started pecking my finger. She's usually so shy. Then somehow my neighbor got those eggs from her. Then, yesterday I found her sitting on more eggs and she pecked my fingers again! She sat on them all day and all night and she's still on them right now. I have heard that silkies are really broody and I think she's half Silkie and half Serama. I put a bowl of feed in front of her and I put a water container close by. This just happened so suddenly. Can anybody explain why and what I should do for her? None of my hens have ever tried to hatch eggs before so any help would be appreciated.

Are the eggs fertilized? If not she will sit until they go rancid or about 21 days or so. You could just let her go through the cycle and it will be ok.

Jim

I have roosters so the eggs are probably fertilized. I'm going to let her go and hatch them. But should I bring her some food and water?

Hi, i am having the same problem only mine are not fertilised. I have got to put her in a wire cage to cool her down and hopfully it will pass, she is very aggressive. I cant see it doing any harm putting water and food near by? i would do the same unless someone told me not to. good luck :)

I have roosters so the eggs are probably fertilized. I'm going to let her go and hatch them. But should I bring her some food and water?

She will come off the nest occasionally to defecate and eat/drink. Just make sure she has access.

Jim

I keep looking for info on this idea of broodiness being a cycle they pass through...in the absence of eggs will the 21+/- day cycle still be in force? I keep reading that they have to be put in a wire cage, no nest materials ro break them. Our girl seems unhappy and we won't want her to lose weight this time of year. She will stay in the nestbox or go up on the roost if we let her.
Thoughts on or experience with "passing through" a broody cycle would be so appreicated.

I've read that the water and food should be near, but not so near the nest that she will dececate in it while she is eating. Good luck. Seems like an odd time of year to go broody, but then I am new new at breeding.

Hi, i am new on here and have my girls since march. i am going through the same thing. Maggie, she had been in the nesting box for about three days, one day she was in another box so i knew she had got out to eat/drink and toilet. The first box had 6 eggs in it but the others may have laid more when she got out. I final moved her last night and there were no eggs uner her. i put her in a wire cage with no straw, just water and food. It did break my heart to do but when i got home this evening she was jumping up ready to come out. when i let the other girls out and opened the cage she came running out and went into the garden. I am hoping 1 day was enough? she was running around the garden with others. When i came to bed time i gave them their treat of cook veg and she tucked in. I have left her out with the others tonight and hopefully she wont be back in the nest box tomorrow,. If she is i will have to put her back in the cage. It can take a couple of days. You can leave them for the cycle to end but they are open to parasites and other nasties so i think it is best to try and break the cycle. Hope this helps, as i say i am new to the chicken world. goos luck.

I am pleased to say Maggie is back to her normal self, it only took 1 day in the wire cage to break the broodiness
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom