My hen is sick and I don't know what to do.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tracymc3202, Mar 12, 2013.

1. tracymc3202

tracymc3202 New Egg

Jul 1, 2012
    We are new to raising chickens. We have 6 hens and 1 rooster. All have been really healthy,good layers with no problems. One hen though, I have noticed a couple of days ago started getting poo in her feathers. Thought maybe just having a bad day. Today I have noticed something is definitely not right. The feathers all around her legs and tummy are now getting greasy looking and she looks like she is having spasms back there. One brown layer is not laying and I am assuming that it's her. If you can offer any suggestions and help me know what to try I will really appreciate it very much. I have really become attached to my little feathered friends and don't want any to be sick or suffer needlessly. Thank-you in advance for your help.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    you can try a probiotic, when my pullet got diereah i gave her some probios its a probiotic powder. in three days she was back to normal.i also followed up with giving apple cider vineager with the mother inside un ppasturized like braggs brand for one week out of each month i do this. it helps with the ph and has tons of vitamims. you can also give plain yougart just make sure it has live bacteria in it. i like the probiotic powder because it has lots of good bacteria in it and is less messy. add to water. if this does not help something else might be going on but it sure helped my girl. if shes is eating and drinking normally id give this a try. if she is off her feed something else might be going on. look closely for other symptoms if none try the probiotic see if it helps her gut.mine was really watery but not as bad as your describing. best of luck

3. tracymc3202

tracymc3202 New Egg

Jul 1, 2012
    Checked out my hen when my husband got home. He held her up so I could get a good look. There is no egg there. Cut away the messy feathers and bathed her. The vent area is really red and her stomach is red and swollen. We have separated her from the flock and put her under a lamp. She is eating and drinking fine. Any suggestions ??

4. tracymc3202

tracymc3202 New Egg

Jul 1, 2012
    Thanks for your reply. She has not had real loose stools it was just getting caught in her feathers. I am giving her the yogurt she is eating it now. She is really red all around the vent and stomach area. I have been looking in chicken books for answers. Still looking. Hopefully I will find what I'm looking for real soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by