My Hen is sick! Brown liquid pouring from crop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TLee, Jun 17, 2011.

1. TLee

TLee New Egg

Jul 1, 2009
    Topsfield
    Hi - I need help. I have 10 ladies - and I noticed yesterday that one was shaking head - clear liquid splattering out.
    Crop felt full - waterbaloonish. Upon massage, brown liquid came out. I tilted her head down and got out as much as I could.
    She was gugling so I left her alone.
    This morning - she is still ill . . . wont eat or drink.
    I again massaged her crop -more brown liquid - foul smelling.
    Then (forgive me) I hung her upside down byher feet and emptied as much as I could.
    I got some water into her using a spoon - she wont eat milk soaked bread (with honey) or anything else.

Her comb has fallen and her eyes are pale.
    The other ladies are worried and so am I.
    What can I do?
    I suspect she has not eaten in a few days.

Im so worried - and the vet will likely charge me $$ to tell me to put her in a pot!
    Please - any advice?
    Thanks

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I don't know the answer but I hope someone helps you soon. Good luck sending prayers and lots of hugs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've seen something mentioned called "sour crop", I wonder if this is what is going on with yours? I don't know anything about it, but hopefully someone else will respond. I hope she gets better soon.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
  5. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    keep us posted... good luck! [​IMG]

6. TLee

TLee New Egg

Jul 1, 2009
    Topsfield
    She is doing better - crop seems empty - she is trying to eat, scratch and has left the coop and is walkign around the yard . . . I tried to give her milk soaked bread but the other ladies were all over me. I'll check tomorrow.
    Thanks for the advice.
    TL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by