my hen is sitting on an egg....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sarahloveschickens, Nov 22, 2008.

1. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    so i believe its fertile... because shes been sitting in her nest all day on top this one egg...
    i have a couple questions:
    How long till it hatches?
    What should I do if she gets off the egg ( its very cold)?
    Will she be upset if i take her egg away and put it in an incubator?
    and....
    If I just put the egg in a box under a big light that I used for my former baby chicks, will the egg be ok?

2. sarahloveschickens

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    anyone i need help here lol

3. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    it takes 21 days of incubation to hatch
    she will get off the egg about once every day to eat/poop. if she stays off for a long time she may not be broody
    if you take the egg at night she wont even know its gonebut if she is broody she will sit on other eggs till she gets some chicks ie incubate eggs then just put chicks under her at night or in hte morning
    the egg will not be ok it needs specific requirements to hatch temp, humidity and needs to be turned to stop the embryo from sticking to one side.

nad i just read your sig. if its one of the silkies sitting its more then likely broody...silkies do that ALOT

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  4. sarahloveschickens

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:yeah shes a silkie thanks for taking your time to help me out :]

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:yeah shes a silkie thanks for taking your time to help me out :]

If you go thru the process of letting her sit and hatch eggs , put her at least 3 or 4 more . Date the eggs . I also marked my calendar and X'ed out the days ... LOL I always move my broody hens, NEST AND EGGS out of the coop into a cage where she can have privacy and not be interupted by the other hens . just put food and water close by for when she does get off nest . She will not be off very long if she is indeed broody . My hens would only be off maybe 3 minutes , MAX. sip or 2 of water and a bite to eat . and right back . 21 days and you got chicks

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Just let you know so you don't make the same mistake the the temps being so cold it could slow the chicks growth rate so it it does not hatch on day 21. Don't think it wont mine didnt hatch till day 26. Be sure to candle before doing anything with the egg!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Most of all be patient and check all the times that you can.... I have yet to have a hen go broody on me,but....

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Silkies tend to be broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by