My hen is slowing down... Is she dieing???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicky Crazy, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Chicky Crazy

Chicky Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    I have a RIR hen who will be three years old next month. She has always been afraid of me and will run away from me if I get too close. I dont think she has been laying, maybe for at least a 6months. For the last two days I have been able to catch her, which is almost impossible because she is so fast. When I went to check on the chickens I saw her huddled on the floor of the coop, like she did yesterday. Yesterday it was cold so I just thought she was staying warm, but its not cold today. It accured that she wasn't being as flighty around me, like she was sick. So I reached in to grab her to see how she reacted she slowly rose and waddled away. That's not like her! She would normally squawk and dash away from me. The only symptom that I can see is she has a dirty butt. Now she's laying in the nesting box... Which is weird. Is she alright?!?!?!?

2. Chicky Crazy

Feb 27, 2013
    I don't know what to do!!!! Please someone tell me what is wrong.

3. Chicky Crazy

Feb 27, 2013
    I think she's dieing! :hit Please HELP!!!

4. Chicky Crazy

Feb 27, 2013
    Someone, please HELP!!!

5. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is normal for laying hens. My hen slowed down as soon as she started laying. They slow down because their full of Eggs, I am sure she will be fine

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Is your hen any better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by