My hen is sneezing and wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by morgenbreanne, Nov 14, 2016.

1. morgenbreanne

morgenbreanne Just Hatched

Oct 31, 2016
    I have 2 hens and one of them started sneezing and wheezing this morning. I have isolated her and I'm giving her probiotics and electrolytes. Other than the breathing she is looking and acting perfectly normal. My other hen seems fine but they are both heartbroken to be separated. They are both squaking and trying to find each other. I feel so bad and my sick girl won't relax and rest. With only 2 of them is the isolation really necessary? Can I keep them together and just treat both? Thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since they are upset at being separated, and both have probably been exposed to whatever the problem is, I would place them back together. Have they been exposed to other birds who were sick? Are they new? Has there been any wet or moldy conditions? Does she have any nasal drainage or watery eyes that might be symptoms of a respiratory disease? Make sure they are drinking normally. Tylan 50 injectable from feed stores can be given orally as well as by injection, 1/2 ml for up to 5 pounds and 1 ml for over 5 pounds, twice daily for 5 days to treat bacterial respiratory diseases. Respiratory diseases may be bacterial, viral, or fungal from mold.

3. morgenbreanne

Oct 31, 2016
    They are about 8 months old (silver laced Wyandotte- Ethel and white leghorn-Lucy) My Ethel is the sick one. They were briefly exposed to 2 silkies I adopted but unfortunately they didn't make it past the first day (they were killed by my dog) but from what I saw the silkies looked to be in good health. It has been very wet here, lots of rain but their coop doesn't leak however the bottom is right on the ground (only chicken wire) no nasal drainage or watery eyes. Both girls eating, drinking and free ranging like normal. I throughly cleaned the coop after I isolated Ethel. I couldn't find the antibiotic at my local feed store but I will look at other stores. Thank you for the advice. Should I just give antibiotics to both girls? I have been giving Lucy the electrolytes and probiotics just for good measure. they are so stressed without each other. Ethel has finally laid down but is not sleeping.

4. morgenbreanne

Oct 31, 2016
    not sure if I answered your "are they new" question throughly. I have had them for about 2 months and they are my only chickens. Also wanted to note that when I cleaned up the bedding on the bottom of the coop the underneath was fairly wet from rain. I don't actually put bedding down there but the girls kick it off their nesting box. Thank you again and any further advice is greatly appreciated. I'm still a newbie but throughly enjoying And attached to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by