My hen is suddenly sick...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FreeChicken!, Jan 4, 2013.

1. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    My Rhode Island Red hen, Daisy, has been healthy for her whole life of nearly four years. If she's gotten sick before, she's hidden it well, and she's never even been injured.
    But now that's changed. Two days ago she seemed normal, but yesterday she seemed kind of gloomy and unenthusiastic about dinner. Today she didn't even eat at all until I set a piece of bread next to her. She blinked tiredly and ate a few bites, then turned around and faced the wall. When I picked her up to move her out of the other chickens' way, she felt a bit limp, but when I set her down again, she was standing strong, though sleepy-looking. Later when I checked on her, she had scratched out a sort of nest and sat down. She looked comfy enough, but she's completely silent, which is odd since she's normally very chatty.
    She usually struts confidently around the coop, talking constantly in her own little chicken language and following my big rooster everywhere. But now she won't move, won't make any noise, only sits in her little nest and naps.
    I considered the possibility of Daisy having something wrong with her organs that make eggs, since that took one of my hens earlier this year. But she never lays eggs this time of year, and her comb is too tiny and pale to suggest that she's laying again anyway. So I wondered if she may have worms. If that's the case, it's easily treated since I have worm medicine. But only one store around here sells it, and it's expensive, so I don't want to use it unless I know for fact that's her problem.
    Does anyone have any idea?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It does sound like worms. What does her poop look like??

3. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    I'm not sure since I haven't had the time to stay around her for long, but I'll see if I can find out tomorrow (it's dark out now, so the chickens are asleep).

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Ok :)

5. FreeChicken!

Nov 14, 2010
    Sorry it took so long to back to you! I haven't had a working computer.
    I haven't noticed any unusual poo in the coop and Daisy's looking better now, but still ruffled a bit strangely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by