My hen is swollen on one side of her chest.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emmak, Feb 23, 2012.

1. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    Hello all! My New Hampshire Red has a swollen area on her chest. I would think it was just a full crop but it's only on one side. I noticed it yesterday evening. If it had just been a full crop wouldn't it have decreased in size by this morning? Any ideas what this could be? Should I be worried? All 4 of my hens have been much less talkative the last few days and they are spending more time in the coop than usual. Thanks for any help.

2. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    It probably is the crop--The crop is only on one side, really--the right front side.
    If the swelling is farther over, under the wing, it could be something else--possibly an air sac.

I'd guess she might have an impacted crop if it hasn't gone down/emptied over night. Is she eating at all? Making droppings?
    If the crop is impacted, you may need to gently massage it and administer some oil with a dropper to help lubricate and dislodge the blockage.

I have a banty who got an impacted crop (probably from scarfing down alfafa and/or pear chunks) and she went off food and water, acted lethargic and didn't make any droppings. I took her to an avian vet who helped resolve the issue and she was back to normal in about a day.

3. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    Thanks, Garden State, for calming me down and making me look at it differently. I massaged her crop (not so easy, since I don't pick em up all the time), and she was better the next day. That was a week or so ago, and now all my hens are laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by