1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen is very panicky, is she alright?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bella002, Aug 15, 2014.

1. bella002

bella002 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I have a White D'uccle Bantam hen who is about a year old now. She is at the bottom of the pecking order in my flock. Every time I try picking her up, she will try to bite my hand, but if I'm careful enough, I can get her without being pecked. When I hold her, I can feel her heart beating really fast and I'm afraid she might have a heart attack or something else along those lines. Should I stop picking her up?

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It's up to you I think. You can stop or you can hold her until you feel her relax. Feed her some snacks while you're holding her too so she associates you with good.

I had one who would not eat when I held her at first so don't panic, but after a while she started to take a few greedy bites.

3. bella002

bella002 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you, I'll try that!

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'm sure if you give her enough time she'll come around [​IMG] then she'll be your best buddy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by